Pages

Thursday 23 April 2020

Put your hands together for ...

As the whole world knows, we are currently all working from home. It’s a strange space to be in. Instead of driving between schools, going into classrooms to teach Cybersmart lessons, getting to know people, I’m at home in my little office. All around the world, people are doing the same thing (apart from our amazing and hard-working essential workers).

Teachers are essential workers too though. I’ve noticed a bit of flack in the comment space on Stuff that perhaps teachers are on an extended holiday. Surprising to think that people out there think teachers have been doing nothing over the past four weeks. The experience I’ve had would tell a different story.

So what have I noticed?

In no particular order:
Teachers who have said ‘bring it on!’ this is what I was born for.
Teachers who have freaked out, flapped around, and then got on with it, creating inviting spaces for their learners to engage with.
Teachers who have enhanced their collaboration with others in order to best serve their learners.
Teachers who have woken at 2am in their holidays to get an idea down
Teachers who have considered the parent’s roles in this strange new world and made things easy for them as the learner’s first teachers.
Teachers who want to celebrate the amazing things their learners are creating and their parents are doing.
Teachers who get that it is all about connections at the moment and who are fostering spaces that allow this to happen.
Teachers who spent most of their ‘holiday’ thinking, making, creating, learning in order to be ready for learning at home.
Teachers who are juggling their own children’s learning and their own class, and we all know teaching our own kids is never easy.
Teachers who said that this online thing was never for them but are now showing others how it is done.

I’m sure I’ve missed things on this list. What would you add?

I’m also in a very privileged position in being able to see how Principals have embraced this and led their staff. I know I’m still getting to know these schools, their cultures and the people that lead them but so far I’ve been impressed. All of these Principals care about their staff and students. This is their list:

Principals who were thinking and putting things into place long before it happened.
Principals who told vulnerable staff to go home and take care of themselves or their loved ones.
Principals who continue to tell staff to take care of themselves.
Principals who think about what their staff need and respond accordingly.
Principals who created ways of connecting with staff in a fun way; shared Jamboards, dress up staff drinks, game/quiz time …
Principals who are innovative and creative and inspire their staff to be.
Principals who are open to learning during this time and are sharing that learning with their staff.
Principals who share their learning and ideas with the wider community.
Principals who provide safe and consistent environments, where staff can express themselves.
Principals who know their context, understand it but won’t let it be a barrier to new things.
Principals who aren’t afraid to ask for help.
Principals who celebrate their staff and what they are doing.

I know that there will be facilitators, teachers, principals, support staff, friends, family … all who would say much the same thing. We have some pretty amazing people in Te Ara Tūhura. And some pretty amazing people around the country, working hard for their tamariki.

Tamariki are kinda the point though, aren’t they? They are often the reason we wake at 2am. The reason we turn up to work on those days we would rather stay in bed. The reason many of us decided to teach. (Not me though, I’m totally in it for the cash *wink*)

Which brings me to another question or three: What is it about how we are doing ‘school’ at the moment that is or isn’t engaging our tamariki? What are we noticing about our learners and their approach to the work? Am I as a teacher using these notices things I am noticing to make changes to my online practice? Will I take these things back into the classroom? Is there a shift happening in my practice?

One teacher I spoke to said that she is never going back to how she was teaching, that this way is far more engaging and she can’t wait to see how she is going to use it to turbocharge her face-to-face teaching. But another teacher said that while she has learnt a lot through this, she has no intention of it changing the way she does learning in a classroom.

Where are you sitting on this spectrum?

Someone asked me today if I’d noticed any teachers talking about their student’s voices? Had I noticed if teachers are asking their students how they are finding the lockdown learning? And, if the students had any thoughts about the future? I realised I didn’t know. This wasn’t a question I had thought to ask.

I’m going to start asking it though. Maybe you could join me.

What do you, the learner, want school to look like after Covid-19 is gone?

8 comments:

  1. Kia ora Sharon,
    A great reflection and well written. I particularly like you understanding of both ends of the spectrum and how you prod and prompt with your questions. I wonder at the end of week two if now is the time to get feedback from the students. What is working and what is not working with their learning and the site they access the learning from.
    A simple survey created by teachers/leaders to send to their learners, maybe create a Voki or Flip Grid video giving feedback to the teacher, a shared google doc etc.
    I wonder if a valid question also is What do you, the learner, want school to look like while Covid-19 is here?
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Mark,

      Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my blog post. I think your questions are relevant and you have some good ideas that teachers could use to engage with their class. I also really like your final question, a great way to clarify how things are going for your own class at this time (assuming you had one).

      Thanks for commenting,
      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Hey Sharon,
    Some awesome examples of what I have recognised from both teachers and principals here. I have seen/noticed similar things! Your question at the end is a great one! I wonder what students have noticed about how teachers are now teaching. What do they like and want more of when we move forward to learning at school.
    Great food for thought, thank you for sharing.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Kelsey,

      Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my blog post. I'm glad you have been seeing similar things to me. It really can be quite exciting and moving seeing what things are being done at the moment. I hope that teachers are asking these questions. Perhaps they now have the time to actually do this?
      Thanks,
      Sharon

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    Thank you for sharing this post! There is so much going on behind the scenes in a teachers and principal's world that I don't think everyone gets. Mind you, unless you are in that world, how can you? I think that goes for any occupation really.
    It most definitely has been an eye opening position for me, teaching my three kiddies at home and juggling teaching in the remote world. But there are many important aspects that have been highlighted for me again. Relationships, relationships, relationships. We know that they are at the core of everything we do and remotely is no exception. It has been lovely to see whanau and children engaging in Google Meets, spending quality time as a bubble and doing the things that we simply do not normally get to do (as we are all so busy)! Building, baking, creating, walking, sewing and exploring...
    So how do we take the calm and flexibility and transform and use this back in the classroom when we return? How do we make sure that we do not go back to the same old, same old?

    The feedback from the students is that they are loving the time they are spending with their busy parents, that they are loving learning and doing things they have not tried before, and they are baking! One parent emailed saying that their child is a lot less stressed and calmer. That the Google Meets get them out of bed in the morning and then they can begin their day.

    Thank you for your post Sharon. And thank you for acknowledging the wonderful work our Principals do through these times.

    Cheers,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Amber,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my post. I think you are right, that it is only when you are involved or near someone that is involved that you can see what the world is actually like. Yes, relationships are the key. Your statement reminds me of that well known Māori proverb:

      He aha te mea nui o te ao
      What is the most important thing in the world?
      He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
      It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

      This seems to be the truth of the matter. We are pretty lucky to live in a country that has a government that has put this first during this time.

      I hope that your own children have found joy in spending time with you at home as you balance family and job. What great feedback to get from your students. That is a powerful message, I hope that parents are feeling the same too.

      Thank you for commenting. I hope that you and your syndicate are able to come up with some great answers to the questions you have posed.

      Ngā mihi,
      Sharon

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon
    Really enjoyed reading your post. I feel on a positive note the relationship building with students has been strengthened due to this strange time. We have been trying to encourage the children to ask and answer questions from each other in our google hangout times and this is slowly developing which is exciting. I hope this time really empowers children to understand that they are in control of their learning.
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Alisha,

    Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog post. I'm so glad to hear that your relationships have been strengthened during this time. Have relationships with parent's also strengthened?

    It sounds like a positive time for you all in your Meets. I too, hope that this time empowers them to take control of their learning. I look forward to hearing more about this as we move back into 'normal' life.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete