Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2019

3 hour exam ... are you for real?

Today is the day where we complete our 9 week Digital Fluency Intensive. Intense it has been, challenging, stretching, even easy at times but most importantly lots of fun. I have loved getting to know other teachers, networking, sharing ideas, hearing the struggles and hearing the celebrations. It has truly been the best PD I've ever had. 

But first, the exam. We knew coming into the Intensive that we would finish with a Google Educator Exam. It is a 3 hour exam, practising the skills learnt on the course. 

Many people were feeling really nervous, and even though I had decided not to stress about it as the time approached to begin I started to get nervous energy coursing through my body. It is amazing how we feel as adults before something like this. How do our students feel before they sit down for a PAT Test or E-Asttle? But it is good to be in the Learning Pit and it is good to have these feelings. Getting in the arena is the big battle! And here I am, in the arena. 

I, of course, panicked as soon as I saw the first question. In fairness, it was on Google Classroom and we don't use that. Thankfully we could use the 'Review Later' button and I moved on and felt calmer as I hit questions I was confident in. 

The exam is split into two parts; multi-choice and practical scenarios. The practical scenarios were much easier as they were doing activities and once you got into the swing of things it felt just like what we normally do every day. I finished with just an hour to spare and only three questions to review. The hardest part was pushing the submit button. But submit I did and then the nervous wait ...

Whew ... 


So, the end is here. I have learnt so much and strengthened my own knowledge of what I can do. I have been reminded of the WHY of why we are doing this. Having the input around the pedagogy has been the standout me. Dorothy's wisdom has allowed me to engage again with the WHY again and given me the words to be able to explain this learning to others. I really don't understand why people feel so resistant to it. Learn Create Share is so powerful and it truly changes the students learn as well as the way I teach. I see the benefits of this, not just because the data tell us it works but because I can see the engagement in my own students. 

Sometimes it can feel like adults don't understand this process but it isn't about them, it is about the students. The evidence is in the classroom though. I received an email from a colleague who worked in our school a few years ago and they left because they couldn't see how it would work in a digital environment. They said this:

"By the way. What a stunning programme you are running in Rimu. I have had a glimpse of what you have been talking about all along but did not have the vision to understand."

It was so gratifying but humbling to receive this email. We run a good programme. Our students are happy and engaged. They are learning. The use of digital is enhancing and engaging them in ways a worksheet never could. Learning is interesting and exciting and they want to be at school. 

TURBOCHARGE! 


That is what this DFI has helped me to do; personally, in my teaching, in my role as School Leader, in my next steps as a teacher and as a Learn Create Share advocate. It is exciting and I can't wait to see what the next steps look like. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    Congratulations on finishing the 9 weeks of DFI and for getting your Google certified educator - level 1 certification! Have you thought of looking into applying for the Hāpara Champion Educator course?

    It was great to meet you yesterday. All the best for the rest of term 3!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,

      Thank you for commenting on my blog. I have applied for the Hapara Champion Educator course. I think it will be good to have another challenge and hopefully a badge.

      I enjoyed meeting you too. Enjoy the last few days of term too.

      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Kai ora Sharon,
    It has been such a pleasure to watch your development over the last 5 years and then to be able to reconnect with you as part of the DFI. I am very excited about the next steps you are taking in your development of Learn Create Share.
    Great effort on your exam!
    Nga mihi,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,

    Thank you so much for the kind words. I am excited about the future and working alongside you next year.

    :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete